Thursday, October 9, 2008

# 1 The Bad: Hating on Dark Skinned Sistah's

I'll start with the bad, sorry! Hating on dark-skinned sistah's is something NW have taken a liking to. I don't know where it came from but the "kodi ndi oyera ngati ine?" attitude hasn't been helped much by the advent of fairness creams. Now in some circles, fair skinned NW's are deemed beautiful just by virtue of them being fair. And dark ones, well, have to prove their beauty. They grow longer hair etc. I think the advantage darker ones have is that teeth show whiter though, I'll confess, I'm rather dark and have had to adopt the saying "Black is beautiful" to make myself feel better. But to heck with that, beauty is neither fair nor dark!

Check out this billboard depicting the joy one has when their face is fairer. Ah, ha ha ha, nsambi!! :-) I got this online so it's not here in Nyasaland that this billboard was erected. Koma zinazi!!!! I hope the advertisers responsible won't be as mad at me as I am at them!

No comments: